Cardinal Health Manager, Software Engineer (SAP Application Development (ABAP) Manager) in Dublin, Ohio
Working together, we can make a difference in healthcare for our customers and communities. Your contributions, along with colleagues around the world, are helping make healthcare safer and more productive every day.
Function: Information Technology Function
Job Family: Software Engineering
The SAP CoE Application Development and Platform Optimization team provides a number of services supporting projects, run operations and continuous improvement activities across the SAP landscapes. The SAP CoE belongs to Cardinal Health’s EIT Shared Services organization. Currently this team has an open position for a Manager, Software Engineering. The position will be responsible for:
- Providing SAP application development services for projects, continuous improvement initiatives and run support activities. This support includes forecasting, matching resource supply to demand, and day-to-day management of full time associates and the contractor developers who perform SAP application development (primarily ABAP). Contractors are both onsite and offshore (in multiple offshore locations).
- Manage projects and continuous improvement demands while leading the development resources to drive these changes to successful outcomes.
- Support run application development work from managed service perspective
- Management/coordination of onshore and offshore contract application developers from a mix of vendors
- Prioritizing and servicing of concurrent/competing demand for SAP application development (primarily ABAP) services for projects (including warranty work), continuous improvement, defect and enhancement and run/support activities
- Labor forecasting for FTE and contract developments, with particular attention to the proactive engagement of sources of future demand, e.g. portfolio directors, project managers, etc.
- Work with preferred vendors to expand/contract application development force to align with forecasted demand and budgets
Drive and manage proactive continuous improvement work, e.g.
Implement DevOps tools and processes and other automation initiatives
- Proactive code improvements, e.g. performance tuning, code simplification/refactoring
- Build business cases and seek alignment/approval/funding sources for future CI work
Assertion and ongoing management of application development governance processes across all SAP systems
Developer evaluations/scorecards for all developers in all SAP systems in SAP CoE scope, whether those developers are reporting in this position or to other managers
- Establish and manage custom code audit and remediation process across all SAP systems
- Establish and manage code quality and other development standards
- Regular status reporting to leadership; market successes; gain support for future CI initiatives
- Bachelors Degree in related field or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years experience in related field preferred
- Ability to define work processes and lead team members in successful implementation and ongoing execution preferred
- Ability to develop individuals and teams preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills preferred
- Excellent organizational skills preferred
- Experience managing a hybrid team of application developers, both employees and contractors, the latter both on and offshore
- Have a high level of accountability regarding the successful forecasting, budgeting, staffing and management of SAP development resources
- Establish a high level of rapport and engagement with developers reporting into the role
- High level of accountability for governing code quality across all SAP systems regardless of whom is creating/maintaining the code.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills.
- SAP experience, particularly application development skills and an understanding of application development lifecycle a plus (but not mandatory)
- Possess strong functional and business acumen
- Excellent collaborative and conflict resolution skills
What Software Engineering contributes to Cardinal Health
Software Engineering is responsible for designing, developing, implementing and supporting applications, systems and IT products required to achieve the company's business objectives.
- Demonstrates knowledge of software development techniques and fluency in software languages and application programming interfaces.
- Demonstrates general understanding of hardware/software platforms including but not limited to operating systems, databases, application servers, web servers and integration technologies.
- Plans and executes system implementations that ensure success and minimize risk of system outages or other negative production impacts.
- Demonstrates conceptual knowledge of architecture standards and database and operating systems.
- Demonstrates problem solving ability that allows for effective and timely resolution of system issues including but not limited to production outages.
- Analyzes production system operations using tools such as monitoring, capacity analysis and outage root cause analysis to identify and drive change that ensures continuous improvement in system stability and performance.
- Demonstrates knowledge of software development, life cycle, modeling of business processes, application design patterns, business/functional documents. Estimates to high level business requirements and provide options analysis.
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Manages department operations and supervises professional employees, frontline supervisors and/or business support staff
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures to achieve specific goals
- Ensures employees operate within guidelines
- Decisions have a short term impact on work processes, outcomes, and customers
- Interacts with subordinates, peer customers and suppliers at various management levels may interact with senior management
- Interactions normally involves resolution of issues related to operations and/or projects
- Gains consensus from various parties involved
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.