Cardinal Health Hospital Clinical Pharmacist in Los Angeles, California
Cardinal Health Innovative Delivery Solutions
With over 45 years of experience in helping hundreds of hospital and outpatient pharmacies, we provide access to best practice strategies and tactics to control costs, improve workflow and enhance safety. Cardinal Health Innovative Delivery Solutions is one of the largest employers of acute-care pharmacist in the United States. Cardinal Health is the employer of choice for pharmacists because we offer a variety of career opportunities in pharmacy leadership, clinical specialties, remote order entry, business management, medication therapy management and more
PRIMARY POSITION ROLES:
- Ensures safe, appropriate, cost-effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, protocols, and national guidelines
- Assists with the development of treatment guidelines, protocols, formulary changes, and clinical pathways as approved by appropriate committees
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for allergies, contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, drug-laboratory test interactions, adverse drug reactions, appropriateness of drug and dose, and therapeutic duplications
- Coordinates the selection and safe use of alternative medications in response to medication shortages
Facilitates the identification, resolution, implementation, and communication of cost-effective medication use issues in collaboration with the Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee (P&T)
Serves as a subject matter expert for the committee
- Prepares and presents drug reviews, MUE criteria, antibiotic sensitivity reports, adverse drug reaction reports, and pharmacy interventions summary to P&T
Supports the pharmacy’s pharmacoeconomic efforts
Reads and evaluates the medical literature for studies supporting the pharmaceutical care and pharmacoeconomics programs
- Provides training and education to pharmacy team regarding pharmaceutical care and pharmacoeconomic initiatives
- Reviews the use of targeted medications for compliance with current programs
- Provides clinical consultation and clarification to practitioners. Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff as needed
- Provides accurate, adequate, and timely drug information to the professional staff
- Ensures productive, collaborative relationships with staff members and within the community
- Participates in community education programs as available (e.g., diabetes classes, health fairs, smoking cessation)
- Contributes to the advancement of the profession through presentations at local, state, and national meetings
- Supports the Antimicrobial Stewardship program
- Participates in the quality improvement activities of the department, with a strong focus on clinical activities
- Prepares reports on pharmaceutical care and pharmacoeconomic activities including financial impact
- Assist in the development and maintenance of information systems and other technology applications within the Pharmacy
Attends and participates in departmental meetings, in-services, and quality improvement programs
Maintains all required training and education per department requirements (e.g. HealthStream, myLearning, Continuing Education)
- Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all requirements related to risk management, safety, security, fire, and infection control. Complies with all applicable state, local and federal regulations
SECONDARY POSITION ROLES:
- Perform as Staff Pharmacist as needed
- Maintains safety-integrity-professionalism of pharmacy at all times
- Perform special projects as requested
- Wears hospital badge identification while on duty.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean. Is conscientious in regard to personal hygiene.
- Treats patients and families with respect and dignity. Assures confidentiality of patient records.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Assists in the resolution of problems or concerns while being a supportive team member.
Consistently strives to promote great customer service in all aspects of the job. SKILLS USED TO PERFORM:
Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize
- Pharmacist skills
- Presentation skills
- Financial management skills
Stress Management skills QUALIFICATIONS :
Current license to practice Pharmacy in state and maintains all required CE
- Graduate of college of Pharmacy accredited by ACPE or equivalent - PharmD preferred
- Previous Cardinal Health pharmacist experience or previous hospital pharmacy experience
- Board of Pharmacy Specialties Certification preferred.
- Three years related Hospital Clinical Pharmacy experience and/or Postgraduate Year One Pharmacy Residency preferred.
- Maintains active membership in American Society of Health-System Pharmacists or other Pharmacy-related State or National organization.
Training and proficiency in age specific therapies for hospital patients
Neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult and/or geriatric
CRITICAL DEMANDS :
- Customer oriented at all times - must be diplomatic
- Work within a diverse workforce
- Pressure to perform in emergency situations
- Overall decision-making responsibility
- Constant interruptions
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Position is classified as OSHA Category II, where regular job duties have continuous potential of exposure to blood borne pathogens throughout the day. Steady, active work that may include walking, standing, sitting, bending and stooping. Work may involve transporting supplies.
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.