Cardinal Health Principal Engineer - Med Device Packaging in Milpitas, California
This role sits in our Cordis medical device facility in Milpitas, CA.
What Packaging Engineering contributes to Cardinal Health
Packaging Engineering is responsible for designing, developing and testing a wide variety of equipment and packaging used for protection, display and handling of products. Determines packaging specifications, cost limitations, legal requirements and related documentation. Directs external resources / contractors as required.
- Perform all packaging engineering activities to support medical device development which include package design, package testing, process development, and specification of materials and/or equipment to ensure proper configuration and production output requirements.
- Develops incoming quality standards for packaging components.
- Provide package development technical leadership necessary to manage key Company growth and innovation development projects through commercialization.
- Manage the design and selection of primary and secondary packaging components and suppliers. Oversee the specifications and technical reports for primary and secondary packaging components.
- Liaise with Product Technical Services and Project Management staff to ensure timely progress of packaging projects.
- Contribute to concept and design of research proposals.
- Review Requests for Estimate in primary container closure system portion.
- Oversee the development of package design/equipment specifications, prototypes, and other design outputs as required.
- Review and approve packaging specifications/procedures and other technical documentation for all products, ensuring appropriate regulatory and market compliance.
- Evaluate and recommend new packaging best practices, techniques and technologies.
- Medical Device experience required
- Bachelors degree in related field required
- A minimum of 4+ years related work experience required
- Ability to train and coach others from technical expertise
What is expected of you and others at this level
- Applies comprehensive knowledge and a thorough understanding of concepts, principles, and technical capabilities to perform varied tasks and projects
- May contribute to the development of policies and procedures
- Works on complex projects of large scope
- Develops technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are innovative and consistent with organization objectives
- Completes work independently receives general guidance on new projects
- Work reviewed for purpose of meeting objectives
- May act as a mentor to less experienced colleagues
Cardinal Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.